I miss my grandmother for many reasons… but one thing I often reminisce about is her delicious meals.
She didn’t have much money, but we always ate really well – every day she cooked delicious healthy dishes, no ready-made meals in those days!
Before my granny passed away at the grand old age of 94, and having hardly suffered a serious day’s illness in her life, she made sure that I received all her secret recipes.
My husband and I use these recipes every week and it’s no wonder that we have a very healthy family with children who refuse to eat junk food and taste less supermarket prepared foods.
I wanted to make sure that granny’s recipes lived on so I decided to write this book. I did extensive research and added a number of other traditional recipes to those of my grandmother, and compiled ‘The Nostalgic Cook Book’- the ultimate book of old-fashioned recipes including many war time recipes that kept our workforce both happy and healthy, and kept our soldiers fit to fight in the battlefields!
The recipes are easy to make, inexpensive, tasty, and guaranteed to provide at least five fruit and vegetables per day that every healthy body needs.
‘The Nostalgic Cook Book’ makes it all so simple with advice on seasonal produce making it so easy for you to know exactly what to shop for the whole year round.
- Bacon Turnovers – traditional fried chopped bacon…made from the best British bacon!
- Savoury Potato Cakes – tender potato & fish cakes gently grilled… lovely!
- Cheese and Vegetable Cutlets –delicious oven made cutlets covered in bread crumbs!
- Woolton Pie – a rich and thick vegetable pie created at the Savoy during the war!
- Poached Kippers – gently boiled, soft and succulent…oh the memories!
- Grilled Pilchards on Toast – made in minutes… tastes wonderful!
- Braised Beef – The softest beef known to man… just melts in the mouth!
- Bacon Hot Pot – thick and tasty bacon stew… so filling!
- Corned Beef Hash – corned beef cooked in an oxtail soup with vegetables… delicious!
- Fish Stew – quick to make, tasty and extremely filling… so traditional!
- Potato Jane – in breadcrumbs, mixed with vegetables and topped with cheese… you can taste it now!
- Savoury Meat Pudding – a tender pastry filled with meat and vegetables… just like your granny used to make!
- Mock Oyster Pudding– soft roes in bread crumbs and mixed with nutmeg! Not an oyster in sight!
- Soused Herring– with onion and mixed pickled spice…simply fantastic!
- Egg & Cabbage Salad– simple and easy to prepare… tastes wonderful and very filling!
- Yorkshire Pudding– this is the original recipe… need I say more!
- Summer Pudding– stewed fruits with juice, baked bread and custard…enjoy all year round!
- Steamed Pudding with Jam– cooked to just melt on the tongue!
- Steamed Chocolate Pudding– with syrup and milk… simply stunning!
- Bread & Butter Pudding– as soft as it gets… the best around, beats any ready-made pudding any day.
‘The Nostalgic Cook Book’ is packed with hundreds of delicious traditional British recipes that are quick and easy to prepare. This book comprehensively covers every meal of the day from breakfast to supper, and even has a huge list of desserts. Wonderful homemade meals that taste much better and are much healthier than all those high salt hydrogenated prepared foods on your supermarket shelves!
Learn how to use your leftovers — ‘The Nostalgic Cook Book’ shows you how to make the most of all the food in your kitchen — all those unused packets and tins in your cupboard and all the leftover meat, fruit and vegetables.
This book is obviously designed to keep you and your family happy and healthy whilst reducing your costs… but already we’ve had many comments from readers saying that these ‘nostalgic’ meals have proven immensely popular when cooking for friends or having dinner parties — a great talking point all round!
I am so pleased my granny’s recipes have brought joy to other families, here are some of the comments I have received:
“I’ve tried six recipes so far, and my teenage children who normally only want to eat junk food are now pleading with me to try more recipes – quite extraordinary!” Mrs T Maguire, Manchester.
"The best Bread & Butter Pudding I have ever tasted. Fabulous recipes, I can’t believe how much I am saving on my shopping bills!” Mr B James, Derbyshire.
“I couldn’t believe how the memories of my dear old grandmother came flooding back when I read these recipes. They are delicious and so easy and cheap to make…
and it’s no wonder she lived until 91!” Mrs J Dewar, Hertfordshire.